Thursday, September 11, 2014

Should the UK get e-voting?

I've been writing about elections and electronic voting for the past 20 months. So it's interesting to watch it appear on the agenda in the UK.

 I was in Parliament last week for the Speaker's Commission on Digital Democracy And I'm still signed up to Google Alerts to get the latest news.

 It's fascinating to hear the debate, although sometimes it's frustrating - the UK should offer electronic voting this year or next, not in the five or ten years it'll probably take.

 The older I get, the more I admire the line advertising agency, Beattie McGuinness Bungay, use: "Whilst we don't hope to re-invent the wheel, we would like it to turn a bit faster."

 I'm writing this as I listen to this debate and I can tell you that Emma Mulqueeny from the Speaker's Commission, one of the people involved, reveals the timeframe she predict's for e-voting's implementation in the UK.

 Read what Sky News has to say about the debate.


 

No comments: