Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Client comments


Look, clients, we take your words and we create

Client comments. You've got to love them. Seriously, you have to. Otherwise they might drive you insane.

So cherish them. Keep them. Make a folder for them. Save them. Back them up.

Then one day you can do something with them.

I'll tell you what I've kept. A 300 word email I had to write to defend/fight for/save a paragraph of copy. Or rather, prevent loads of mistakes being made with the suggested changes. It's an important distinction because I wasn't merely being precious. The changes to the copy the client wanted simply didn't make sense, logically or grammatically, so I argued it point by point.

So that's what I've kept. But somehow it's vergy ugly. It looks ugly and it feels ugly. It's like a sad battle that should have never happened in the first place. A victory but a fairly hollow one because the end product wasn't going to win any awards. It was just that the changes suggested added nothing and in fact made a few silly errors.

Far more pretty is what Brighten The Corners, a London-based design studio, has created from their client comments.

They've taken the best from their inbox over the past three years and made three lush posters from them. They look good and, copy fans, there's stuff you can read, too! Pretty AND funny. I know because mine just arrived in the post.

The first one's above. Two and three are below. Order yours now from Brighten The Corners. They're only a tenner plus 70p p&p. And don't forget to save your best client comments, let them mature. And one day you can do something with yours, too.


Ain't client comments pretty?


Gutted if you ended up on this

6 comments:

naked_ollie said...

Unfortunately I can't make any of those client comments out on the posters. I'm sure there are some good 'uns, but it's a pretty bold move of the agency in question to print them.

Client bashing is very of the moment but I'm not too sure letting it out in public is going to win many friends or impress would-be customers.

We all know the idiocy they're capable of but we don't need to tell everyone.

naked_ollie said...

Unfortunately I can't make any of those client comments out on the posters. I'm sure there are some good 'uns, but it's a pretty bold move of the agency in question to print them.

Client bashing is very of the moment but I'm not too sure letting it out in public is going to win many friends or impress would-be customers.

We all know the idiocy they're capable of but we don't need to tell everyone.

Hayes Thompson said...

I'll tell you what. You can't even read them when you've got the actual poster.

Coloured type on coloured background.

Bloody designers.

It's interesting that you've assumed idiocy Ollie without reading them.


I'm sorry if I gave the impression all the comments are stupid as hell.

As I think I remember reading on BTC's website, all these comments are an integral part of the design process, so you could say people might be proud if their input is now on a poster.

Hayes Thompson said...

Here's a selection of comments, taken almost at random.

I've tried to cover the whole spectrum, from positive to negative, as have the posters, I think.

"Margaret is away in Ireland until next Wednesday so I am replying to your bad-tempered email. I thought you might have grown up by now. Clearly not."

"Thank you very much for sending us your latest ideas. We discussed them here at the institute and feel that some major improvements still need to be done."

MORE THAN ONE SAY 'CAN YOU MAKE THE FONT/TEXT BIGGER.

"Perfect. Thank you very much and have a good day."

"OK, point taken. Onto the project..."

There really is a massive spread. So they'll be more interesting in their entirity.

That's why you should should buy 'em yourself.

You're right. It is brave.

And isn't that would good work should be?

LiamJHayter said...

Dont think I agree with client bashing being "very much of the moment" for agencies Ollie, and I don't read the posters as such.

I'm sure there isn't a single person in this industry who hasn't had one of these experiences... Clients From Hell is another example (and a dose of daily sanity):

http://clientsfromhell.tumblr.com/

I have to say I admire these guys for producing the posters,i'm always of the belief that there is nothing wrong with honest, frank client dialogue... in context.

The posters seem to be as much a critiscism of themselves as of the client, and that's no bad thing is it?

May well have to order these for the office at some point, they're a nice reminder that these situations are merely a part of the process. And I'd argue a vital part at that.

Hayes Thompson said...

And this came, too:

看到你的好文章真是開心 加油囉

Which apparently means something/nothing like:

Saw your good article really is refuels happy Luo