Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is using the word 'joy', sad?

First we had a glass and a half full of joy (oops, sorry, did I post the wrong clip?)



Then we had BMW's expression of joy



Now I've seen Puma bodywear bringing us a little joy (Thanks @iboy)



What is it with everyone using the word 'joy'?

Is it because it's so short? Valid, I suppose. Brevity could be one of a writer's goals.

Or is it because we feel comfortable with trends? I hope not.

Whatever, if you're planning an ad based on happiness, here are a few alternatives, courtesy of dictionary.com:

Synonyms:
1, 2. pleasure, joy, exhilaration, bliss, contentedness, delight, enjoyment, satisfaction. Happiness, bliss, contentment, felicity imply an active or passive state of pleasure or pleasurable satisfaction.

I know which one I'm going for next.

No comments: