Monday, March 10, 2008

Did you see the moonwalking bear?




Or were you too busy counting the number of passes the white team made?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you probably haven't seen the latest road safety ad.

I've had a look on YouTube and I can't find it yet so I can't post it here.

But keep checking back. I'm sure I'll find it soon.

Well worth it.

It makes you want to go back to the beginning of the ad to see if they're telling the truth. But it works even if they're lying, precisely because you can't go back in time to check.

By making you focus on one thing that's happening, then asking you about another you're not concetrating on, this ad seeks to demonstrate the idea that your brain can't see what it's not looking for.

Look out for cyclists when you drive and look out for the ad on this blog and on TV.

8 comments:

AMANDA said...

Hey I saw it! Ok i didn't, but i do like the concept of the ad. And it was pretty lol funny! (Yes, it had been a v boring day at work today). Being a cyclist and a driver, it works for me.

Anonymous said...

Ain't find it yet? It seems that guys who made commercial didn't lie about the moowalking bear, check this out

http://viscog.beckman.uiuc.edu/grafs/demos/15.html

anyway, looking forward to see it again :)

P

Anonymous said...

Ain't find it yet? It seems that guys who made commercial didn't lie about the moowalking bear, check this out

http://viscog.beckman.uiuc.edu/grafs/demos/15.html

anyway, looking forward to see it again :)

P

Hayes Thompson said...

Thanks, P, whoever you are.

I'm posting about this on its own.

How did you find it?

Anonymous said...

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/

Fritz said...

Clickable link: Do the Test.

Clearly inspired by the UIUC video, but the Brits did it with a little more humor, I think.

Hayes Thompson said...

Thanks, Fritz. Interesting Cyclicious blog, there. It always amazes how cycle-blind pedestrians are, too. I can kind of understand, as I often cross the road using my ears, not my eyes.

After all, what's the point of looking when you can hear nothing's coming? Another awareness ad there, perhaps.

Oh, and it's going to get worse when these silent electric motorbikes capable of 0-60 in 4secs and 120mph start hitting the streets... and pedestrians.

Fritz said...

I've been a little startled by passing Priuses (Pria? Prii? Prioria?), but I'm now accustomed to hearing the whir of their electric motors and wheels.

When I'm in pedestrian heavy zones I slow down and weave as necessary. It's all part of the traffic flow.