Friday, December 14, 2007

The difference the right headline makes

In an email, your subject line makes all the difference.

Not quite life or death, but close.

Those few words you choose to type in your subject line box mean the difference between getting read - and getting binned. So choose your words carefully.

An account exec I used to work with, Lauren, came to me with the following problem.

One of our clients was unsatisfied with the opening rates they were getting with their monthly newsletter - around 12%.

'What was their last subject line?', I asked. The answer made me groan.

'Try this', I said, explaining a simple technique that Lauren could try herself (one that took her about 15 minutes.)

Well, I completely forgot about this thing until Lauren ran in breathless one morning. 'You know that tweak we made to client X's e-newsletter subject line?' Well the latest opening rates are in...'

'And?', I said.

'And they're up to 43%!'

Bingo.

It's such a simple tweak, it's almost embarrassing to hold it back from you. Leave a comment or email me if you want to know what it is.

If you want to read up on email marketing, the gods at the DMA publish a guide to best practice: take a look here

The geniuses at Marketing Sherpa also know pretty much everything about email marketing. Discover loads of indespensable information, some of it for free:

Marketing Sherpa

No comments: